|For music lovers in and around Plymouth, Devon|
Images of Plymouth - Page 3
A personal selection of photographs taken by your webmaster.
Click on any photo for a larger, higher quality image
This rather selective collection of pictures covers those churches regularly used for concerts
St. Andrew's Church
View over St. Andrew's Cross North Side Plymouth's churches did not escape the destruction of World War II. St. Andrew's Church, the "Mother Church" of Plymouth, dates originally from 1264 but was left a shell in 1941. It was finally re-consecrated in 1957.
South Side Inside
Charles Church View from near St. Andrew's Church Charles Church Charles Church, now in the centre of a busy roundabout, has been left in ruins as a reminder of the destruction of Plymouth in 1941.
Sherwell Centre Emmanuel Church Mutley Baptist Church
The University of Plymouth Sherwell Centre, on North Hill, is a sympathetically converted church now housing an excellent 270 seat concert hall, used regularly for recitals and chamber concerts, particulary those organised by the Plymouth Chamber Music Trust.
Emmanuel Church, on Mannamead Road, was opened for worship in 1870 and is a regular concert venue. The Friends of Emmanuel organise concerts "with a lighter touch".
Mutley Baptist Church, the largest Baptist church in Plymouth, was opened in 1869 and has recently been restored. It is occasionally used for concerts and has a balcony which offers an excellent view.
All photographs © 2004 Roger Viles